So, what is My Kind Of Gospel?

An exploration of uptempo gospel music : 1945-1965

Thursday, July 5, 2012

 


Click above song titles to listen/download

Here is a record by the Southwind Quartet on the Quartet Records label. I would guess this record to be from 1947. It is a fine example of jubilee style singing that was common up through the end of the decade. For an interesting comparison between their version of "I Want To Rest" and that of a white gospel quartet, the Blue Ridge Quartet, check back to this posting on my site.  I don't know anything more about the Southwind Quartet. I do know that this label was owned and operated by Mr. Lee Roy Abernathy. I have mentioned him previously in this blog. To the best of my knowledge, this group was the only black quartet on the label. I do have additional records from this rather scarce label. All of them are worthwhile and no matter how mint the records look, they all of have noisy shellac! This label design is one of my personal favorites.

According to my research, The Southwind Quartet had one additional release on Quartet Records, record number 0010. The songs were Ezekiel and the Bones b/w I Want My Crown. The group recorded some additional sides on the Freedom label in 1950. I did stumble across this 1953 ad from a newspaper in Florida. I can't say for sure if this is the same group....but it was certainly a black quartet from the same area of the country from around the same time. Then again, who knows.....




No comments:

Post a Comment