So, what is My Kind Of Gospel?

An exploration of uptempo gospel music : 1945-1965

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

West Virginia checking in...



Click above song title to listen/download

 I had the very good fortune to come across a rather large collection of country gospel 45's many years ago. Most all of it was from the south West Virgina area and this is one of them. Back in 1996, I was able to speak with two members of this quartet, Mr. Workman and Ms. Watts, so I have additional information. The record was recorded in 1959 or 1960 at WLOG in Logan, West Virginia. The group recorded two 45's in total and no LP's. About 500 were pressed. The members were Millard Watts (Bass), Helen Watts (Soprano), Bernie Workman (Tenor) and Fred Steel (Alto). As you can hear, this group is very influenced by the Chuck Wagon Gang and the Stamps Quartet. Great, heartfelt singing. I just need to locate that second 45! 

Here are some newspaper clippings I was able to locate in the Charleston Gazette, circa 1960. The first, besides mentioning are group here, also mentions the Marcum Quartet. That is another group that I have some records of and will be posting in the future:

 This second clipping also mentions The Loganairs and The Friendly Four. More groups with great records to be shared in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment