So, what is My Kind Of Gospel?

An exploration of uptempo gospel music : 1945-1965

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

RCA BQ-2B Transcription Turntable

Well, a while ago I was able to locate and obtain my dream turntable. It is a late 1950's RCA BQ-2B transcription turntable. It has a 16" aluminum platter that weighs in at 14 pounds.



I had to do a bit of restoration, but for its age, it was in great condition. I set it up with a pair of tonearms. I have a vintage Rek-O-Kut using a GE VRII cartridge. The 'newer' arm is a SME 3012-R that I bought new back in the very early 1990's. I am using a Stanton 500 cartridge in that arm. I have a few different headshells for the Rek-O-Kut, allowing me to easily change between 0.7, 1.0, 2.5 and 3.0 mil styli as the VRII uses a flipper that has two styli on each cartridge. The Stanton is very easy to change styli and I use a 0.7, 1.0, 1.1, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 2.7, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.....depending on the record. That is a fair amount of options!


The knobs are bakelite and work wonderfully. This machine is a rim drive unit that utilizes three different idler wheels, one for each of the three different speeds. So, as expected, there is a small bit of rumble...(for some, make that a LOT of rumble).....but I do not find it to be an issue. 


Here is the tag for the machine. This could be bought without the cabinet and you would mount it into what ever deck or desk top you wanted. I am glad to have the cabinet.




Finally, here is inside the cabinet. As you can see, I am running the Rek-O-Kut through my Dynakit Mark III amp. I have not included a picture, but all of that is also going through my Scott 121-C pre-amp. My SME arm is going through a 'OWL 1' pre-amp that I also bought back in the early 90's. That preamp has a bypass switch allowing me to just run in straight through for newer RIAA records. I also use that arm for warped 78's or Vertical (hill and dale) records as there is a setting for that on the OWL unit. 

Anyway, just sharing the player that will be capturing the sounds I am posting on the site. I would love to hear from folks who know more about these machines. Information appears to be a bit sparse....

5 comments:

  1. Have I told you how much I envy you this turntable? It's my dream system too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently picked up an RCA BQ-2B turntable as well. Wondering if you could advise as I notice the Idler wheels on mine are quite flexible on their shaft. In other words if I grab the top wheel I can rock it back and forth quite a lot. I have not seen this on other idler turntables so am concerned it is a problem or is it a means for it to correct itself regardless of angle?
    Thanks for any advise. I have not taken anything apart on it yet. and will need to dismantle clean, relube and start from scratch I know.
    Thanks
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is a man on youtube shares his records has one of these is cool.just talked to former fj that sold me his collection of 78's around 9,000 for 100 bucks. has transcription records from radio programs is now 89 said tonight will strongely consider selling them did not quot a price. will check out your program tomorrow have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post thank you Carmen

    ReplyDelete